World Vegetarian Day 2021: 5 Edible Seeds That Can Add Nutrition And Health To Your Diet
World Vegetarian Day 2021: 5 Edible Seeds That Can Add Nutrition and Health to Your Diet | Photo credit: iStock images
- October 1 is celebrated annually as World Vegetarian Day around the world
- This day aims to raise awareness of the benefits of consuming plant-based foods
- Here are 5 edible seeds you must add to your diet
New Delhi: October 1 is celebrated as World Vegetarian Day around the world to promote awareness of the benefits of consuming vegetables, fruits and other plant-based food sources. A vegetarian diet may just seem like a food preference for a few, but it is also often a way of life for some people. Consuming a vegetarian diet has been linked to various health benefits, such as increased metabolism, reduced risk of cardiovascular disease, and effective weight management. In addition, a plant-based diet can be an eco-friendly and sustainable way of life as it can reduce the carbon footprint.
The best healthy edible seeds
Here are some seeds that you should include in your diet:
- Pumpkin seeds: Fancy a snack? Just take a handful of raw or roasted pumpkin seeds and snack on them as a healthy snack. Rich source of selenium, fiber, healthy fats and protein, pumpkin seeds can help improve heart and bladder health.
- Chia seeds: A common misconception among non-vegetarians is that vegetarian diets are unable to provide the body with the required amount of protein. It’s time to shed some light on the truth and reveal a popular plant protein source – chia seeds. These seeds are also a rich source of dietary fiber, antioxidants, omega-3s, and other essential nutrients. All you need to do is soak some chia seeds overnight and use them to prepare food, meals, and desserts.
- Sun-flower seeds: Are you looking for a way to improve heart health? It is your sign to add sunflower seeds to your diet. A good source of fiber, iron, calcium, protein, and vitamin C, sunflower seeds can brighten your health just as sunflowers brighten up the mood and the environment. Easy to snack on as a snack, you can add sunflower seeds to your diet in your salads, oatmeal or desserts.
- Linseed : Better known as too Where teesi in Hindi, flax seeds are part of the diet of people across the world. The health benefits of this variety of seeds are widely recognized as it is a rich source of dietary fiber, protein, and omega-3s. It also contains lignan which is known for its anti-cancer, bone health and heart benefits.
- Sesame seeds: Popularly used in parts of Asia, sesame seeds are commonly referred to as up to in hindi. This seed is extremely healthy and is a rich source of fiber, B vitamins, and calcium. If you are looking for foods that can improve your bone health, now is the time to add sesame seeds to your diet. What’s more, sesame seeds can also improve the health of your hair and skin.
Disclaimer: The tips and suggestions mentioned in the article are for general information purposes only and should not be construed as professional medical advice. Always consult your doctor or dietitian before starting a fitness program or making any changes to your diet.
Get the latest health news, healthy eating, weight loss, yoga and fitness tips, more updates at Times Now