Intravenous (IV) therapy vs supplements: which is more effective?
The popularity of supplements and intravenous therapy has been growing rapidly in the healthcare community for some time. While some people use these methods to supplement their already balanced and healthy lifestyle, others attempt to compensate for poor dietary habits in an effort to reduce their risk of developing chronic diseases. In the United States, nearly half of the adult population takes some form of multivitamin or supplement, many of which are not regulated by the FDA. And in 2021, Americans spent nearly $50 billion on vitamins and dietary supplements.
By equipping yourself with the right knowledge base, you will not only avoid potentially dangerous products, but you can also ensure that what you consume is beneficial.
The benefits of supplements
Source: BBC Reel/YouTube
Vitamins and minerals are essential to help your body feel and function at its best. Ideally, people should be able to get all the necessary nutrients they need from a healthy, balanced diet rich in plant foods. However, sometimes supplements are needed because they can provide you with specific nutrients that may be lacking in your diet. Supplements are generally considered safe because they contain only a small amount of each nutrient. However, unless someone has a specific deficiency, it might not be worth spending a ton of money on expensive supplements.
The Benefits of IV Therapy
Intravenous (IV) therapy is considered the most effective way to give your body the nutrition it needs and has gained popularity among many health conscious people. This process allows vitamins to enter your bloodstream directly and bypass digestion. Many people prefer this method over taking supplements because it gives you faster results that can last longer.
Intravenous therapy can also be fully customized to meet a person’s specific health needs and treat vitamin deficiency. This process allows your body to use nutrients immediately while providing you with extra hydration so you can feel your best. IV therapy can also be used to help relieve hangover symptoms, cleanse your body of toxins and free radicals, and increase energy levels.
So which is the most effective?
Both oral and intravenous supplements provide the body with essential nutrients, but is one more effective than the other?
There are a few important differences to be aware of before making a decision.
Since IV therapy fluid is delivered directly into your vein, the nutrients immediately enter your bloodstream. Oral supplements, on the other hand, have to pass through your digestive system, which takes longer than its counterpart, and this process can slightly decrease the quality of nutrients your body absorbs. Some people may also be sensitive to certain oral supplements as they can irritate the digestive tract and cause stomach upset.
The truth is, every individual is different, and it comes down to preference. Therefore, the best thing to do is to consult a doctor and seek professional advice on what is best for you.
Whatever your goal when taking supplements, there’s one thing we know for sure: supplements and intravenous therapy will never replace a healthy, nutrient-dense diet. Supplements should never be used in place of real food. A nutrient-dense diet should always come first!
Check out this ultimate guide to learn more about plant-based nutrition!
Simple ways to help the planet:
- Eat less meat: To download food monster, the largest plant-based recipe app on the App Store to help you reduce your environmental footprint, save animals, and get healthy. You can also purchase a paper or electronic copy of our favorite vegan cookbooks.
- Reduce your fast mode footprint: Take the lead by mobilizing against fast fashion pollution and supporting sustainable and circular brands like small rescue that raise awareness of important issues through zero-waste recycled clothing designed to be returned and remade again and again.
- Support independent media: Public funding gives us a greater chance of continuing to provide you with high quality content. Please consider support us by making a donation!
- Sign a petition: Your voice matters! Help turn petitions into victories by signing the latest list of must-sign petitions to help people, animals and the planet.
- Stay informed: Keep up to date with the latest news and important stories about animals, the environment, sustainable living, food, health and human interest topics by subscribing to our newsletter!
- Do what you can: Reduce waste, plant trees, eat local, travel responsibly, reuse things, say no to single-use plastics, recycle, vote smart, wash cold, get rid of fossil fuels, save water, buy wisely, donate if you can, grow your own food, volunteer, save energy, compost, and don’t forget the microplastics and microbeads lurking in household products and routine personal care!