NIFA Nutrition Security Webinar Series: Developing New Metrics to Complement the US Household Food Security Survey Module
On Tuesday, August 30 from 1-2 p.m. EDT, Dr. Eric Calloway will explain that while the definition of food security is holistic and nuanced, measurement has traditionally not been operationalized more fully. The USDA Household Food Security Survey Module (HFSSM) is the primary tool used to assess food security in the United States.
The HFSSM has advantages and disadvantages – like most measurements. The main drawbacks from an intervention development or needs assessment perspective are that the HFSSM focuses on one facet of the food insecurity experience (e.g., financial access) and does not was not designed to provide practical information to inform programming. The GSCN has developed a modular suite of measures that assess aspects of food insecurity not currently captured in the HFSSM. These measures include assessing household resilience, the “other” three pillars of food insecurity (i.e. perceived availability, utilization and stability) and nutrition security/food choices . This presentation will cover the development, testing and potential uses of these new measures. The format will be a 45 minute overview of measurement development, results and uses and an additional 15 minutes for questions and discussion.
Register for the webinar
After registering, you will receive a confirmation email with details on how to join the live session. If you have any questions or comments, please email LaRachelle Samuel-Smith at [email protected].
Date hour: Tuesday, August 30, 1:00 p.m. – 2:00 p.m. EDT (12:00 p.m. – 1:00 p.m. CDT)
NIFA stakeholders including academics, practitioners and policy makers working to prioritize nutrition security. And any organization that seeks to help its customers access healthy food and/or eat healthier, including hospitals and nonprofits concerned with public nutrition.
Moderator: Mallory Koenings, PhD, RDN, National Program Manager, Nutrition Division, Institute of Food Security and Nutrition, National Institute of Food and Agriculture
Panelist : Eric Calloway, PhD, RDN, Research Scientist, Gretchen Swanson Center for Nutrition
Other team members
- Matthew Browning, Public Affairs Specialists
- Danielle Farley, MS, NIFA Social Scientist, Animal Systems Division, Institute for Food Production and Sustainability
- Sheila Fleischhacker, PhD, JD, RDN, NIFA National Science Liaison – Nutrition and Food Safety and NIFA Nutrition Security Team Co-lead
- Amber Gellert, MA, NIFA Program Assistant, Community and Education Division, Institute of Youth, Family and Community
- Cassandra Huey, PhD, NIFA Program Specialist, Community and Education Division, Youth, Family and Community Institute and Executive Coordinator of the NIFA Nutrition Security Team
- Stephanie Morriss, PhD, NIFA Institute of Food Safety and Nutrition Data Analyst
- Faith Peppers, NIFA Director of Communications
- LaRachelle Samuel-Smith, PhD, NIFA Internal Communications Manager
The video recording, slide deck and other resources will be provided on the series webpage after the live version and will be emailed to all registered webinar attendees.
Closed captioning is generally available for our webinar series. If you require additional reasonable accommodations to participate in this webinar, please contact Sheila Fleischhacker at [email protected] or 816-266-7859 by Monday, August 29 at 5:00 p.m. ET. Language access services, such as interpretation or translation of vital information, could be provided free of charge to those with limited English proficiency and those who require other reasonable accommodations upon request..